Pages

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Perfect Fall Day!

When the warrior princess must leave me to go save the world (the life of a superhero) I get to fill my time with those items that I don't get done when she is home and a couple of extra curriculars.  During the summer that usually entails garage sales and running.  But now that fall has set in the garage sales are far and few between and well... let's just say I have fallen off the running wagon... anywho this time I spent all day in the kitchen.  And with ZERO guilt, because even as I made all of these wonderful items nothing I "quality controlled" or ate was going to blow out my waist line.

Hopefully this time next year I will be complaining about running around and chasing a rug rat but  until then I get to come up with fun ways to prepare for that.  Every time I make something I think of how it will translate toddler in tow.

Today's was a great day cooking for me!

Look at these beautiful Yucca Chips!!  I have been trying to make yucca chips based on this original recipe I had but I keep burning them and then they are not all that edible.  I think I have made them 5 different times and FINALLY found the perfect balance.  If you have never had Yucca Chips they are great because they are light in flavor, heavy in texture and perfect for dipping in guacamole, pico de gallo or any other dip.



Something else I have been trying to perfect is a homemade Honey Dijon dressing and I think the one I made today might be the winner.  I LOVE Honey mustard but the warrior princess hates it.  In fact when I first moved in she told me my honey mustard would have to be in its own fridge out in the garage ha ha.  Guess where it is now :)


Just because it is natural, whole plant -based doesn't mean it isn't pure evil.  Case in point:  homemade Larabars.  This could be bad!!  I tried Pecan Pie flavored last week and they turned out GREAT!


But I wanted more!  So I looked up more recipes adapted them slightly and set off to make Lemon Larabars today.  I got most of the way through the first batch and was zesting the "lemon" and it was being incredibly difficult and it was kind of soft.  I couldn't understand what was going on, until I cut into it to juice it and TA DA, it was an orange LOL not a lemon.  I just went with it, used the orange juice and added a little cinnamon to make it a orange cinnamon bar.  The next batch I made sure I had a  lemon!   They are not as firm as the Pecan Pies ones so I might mess with the recipe a little bit but so so good!!



And finally for dinner tonight I made a Parsnip, Apple, Sweet Potato bake.  It was the perfect fall day dinner.  The apples were from the tree in our yard and I discovered we have an apple corer!  This whole time I have been doing it manually.  And I finally got to use the corningware I scored last summer at a sale.  The minute I opened the oven the sweetness of the apples, onions, parsnips and sweet potato reminded me of freshly baked pie.  The garlic and pepper added just enough spice and balance.  What a perfect family dinner (which means I will have leftovers for days!) 



No comments:

Post a Comment