Pages

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, June 7, 2012

How to make room for a baby

Well admittedly, one of the logistically most complicated parts of this whole (seriously this statement includes the actually getting pregnant part) process has been how do you actually make room for a new being in your house?

It's not like we are 19 and just starting out in the world with our empty cardboard boxes acting as a coffee table and our oven as a desk.  Oh you think I am kidding?  Ask anyone about my first apartment, I didn't actually even use my room at first because I didn't have a bed. Instead, I slept in a sleeping bag on my "free from a friend who was going to throw it away" wood frame with removable 70's green and orange floral cushions couch. Needless to say I had room to grow.

Fast forward to today, here are two established women in their 30s and who have actually lived in the same place for a decent amount of time, including two dogs and two cats.  I think it is safe to say that we have "filled our space"  and the Warrior Princess would probably argue TOO well tee hee.  So I have a shoe ... let's call it fascination shall we! What can I say!

We have been told we can't put the baby in the dog kennel with Effie.  Although Dayleen would argue if you start from the beginning they don't know any different and the dogs are just a little spoiled. :)

In all seriousness, how pray-tell did we find room in our house for our forthcoming addition?

1. Garage Sale!!!  - Hard decisions had to be made but we both found plenty of items that could be better used by someone else.  I literally used 60 price tags alone on clothes and shoes.

2.  Goodwill - What didn't sell found a new home at Goodwill or on Freecycle.org

Finally, the mother of all problem solvers:

3.  Creative Room Design - The real purpose of this post!!

So here is our Guest Room Before:



Yes that is baby stuff at the end of the bed.  :)

And our office (from the POV of Dayleen's Desktop) before hand:


Yes, that is me walking around pre pregnancy days.... good news is, the sooner I pop this thing out the sooner I can work back to that!  And unfortunatley, this is about as good as gets for a picture of the office.  In my adventure to write this post I realized the pictures I had of the office all came from the camera on the desktop! lol.  So use your imagination.


Solution?  Turn the Guest Room into a Guest Room/Office but our predicament is that we actually have guests that use our guest room on a regular basis so we didn't want to go with an uncomfortable cheap futon or skinny sleeper sofa.  For quality in either of those areas you still had to spend some cash.    

Well after all the research, measuring, sampling, and letting go we found an excellent answer!

A Murphy BED!!!  We get to keep the comfortable queen bed, but it is out of the way when guests are not here and we have plenty of office space.






And now the old office will get to be the Treadmill/Nursery!



 Dayleen has already put her mad skills to the test making an awesome shelf to put inside the closet to help maximize space.


This ladies and gentleman is how to make room for a baby... Dayleen and Junelle Style!  Welcome to our transformation. 

P.S.  Yes we are keeping the walls in the nursery off-white.  That is just who we are, we like our off-white what can we say.  But we may be open to wall decorations to add a little spice to the room.  

1 comment:

  1. I freaking love the Murphey bed!!! You guys did an awesome job in there! ;)

    ReplyDelete